Monday, June 4, 2012

Trinity Sunday Sermon

June 3, 2012    John A. Baldwin



Today is Trinity Sunday......a curious day in the Christian calendar year.....when we remember and celebrate a theological understanding of the divine: One God in Three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is one of 4 major Feast Days celebrated by the Church down through the centuries, the others being Christmas, Easter and Pentecost, each of which celebrates a different Person of the Trinity. Christmas, although the birthday of Jesus, is actually the date on which we celebrate God the Father, Creator of Heaven and Earth, the first person of the Holy Trinity, who according to Christian theology, enters into human flesh in the form of a little baby. The heavenly choir is singing praise to the Father who is making this bold new initiative in Creation (Luke 2:13). Easter is the day we celebrate Jesus, the second person of the Trinity, who having finished his earthly life on the cross, has now been resurrected to new life. On Pentecost we celebrate the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, God's indwelling presence, on into the future, in the lives of all who love the Lord. Trinity Sunday is the fourth feast day, on which we celebrate the 3 distinctly unique ways that God Almighty reveals himself.



The concept of the Trinity, though woven throughout the Old and New Testaments, did not become a distinctive doctrine in Christian theology until the 4th and 5th centuries, when 4 Church Councils (Nicaea, Constantinople, Ephesus and Chalcedon) put this mystery (one God in 3 persons) into words. In the process, the reputations of some leading theologians were enhanced, while others were ruined. One heated debate concerned whether to use the word "homoousion" ("of one substance") or homoiousion" (of like substance") with the Father. Out of that heated debate came the expression "one iota of a difference".



Over the centuries, preachers have walked a very fine line indeed in trying to explain what the heck the TRINITY is all about, leading to a lot of pretty esoteric and, in some cases, very boring sermons. While I believe it's important to deal with the Holy Trinity on this particular Sunday, I'm going to attempt to make my sermon more concrete and hopefully not too boring, by sharing some personal reflections on how I became Trinitarian in my theology. It didn't happen all at once. In fact, I may be a slower learner than others.



When I was a kid growing up, I was fortunate to have a father who loved the outdoors. At an early age he introduced me to sailing, to bird-watching, to star-gazing on dark nights in the field in front of our summer cottage, and to hiking in all kinds of weather conditions in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and Green Mountains of Vermont. A Creator God, awesome in wonder and power, became intensely real to me at an early age. Every advance in understanding that science has uncovered, far from explaining God away, has only increased my awe in the Master Creator of the Universe.



The second person of the Trinity, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was harder for me to grasp and embrace. The Virgin Birth, his miracles, walking on water, multiplying loaves and fishes, his Resurrection and Ascension, all defied logic and common sense. I liked his parables, teachings, passion for social justice, compassionate love, high regard for women, and his willingness to defy social convention in his outreach to sinners and outcasts. But I had my questions, doubts and wonderings. Was this man for real? the Son of God???? I wanted to satisfy for myself that all of the claims about Jesus had a foundation in reality, and were not just wishful thinking.



When I entered seminary in 1974, I met twice a week in a discussion group with 6 classmates, two seniors and two professors. We had lively debates about faith, hope and religion. On one occasion we were given the task of reading the accounts of Jesus' Resurrection and writing a short reflection. In doing so, I was struck by a portion of Matthew's account in which the Pharisees ask Pilate to place a guard at Jesus' tomb lest his disciples steal his body and claim he'd been risen from the dead. What a horrible thought – all this might be nothing more than a cruel hoax. All of those other stumbling blocks – miracle stories, Virgin Birth, walking on water, paled in comparison.



This was the real deal breaker....if Jesus wasn't resurrected from the dead, I mused, he is little more than an insightful, spiritual leader akin to the Buddha or Confucius. When I shared my concerns with my group, with quite a bit of anxiety I can assure you, one of our professors recommended that I read The Passover Plot, whose author, Hugh Schonfield, asserts that the Resurrection is indeed a hoax. Decide for yourself, he urged, whether you think his argument has merit. Wouldn't you know it, that very afternoon, while browsing in a bookstore, I came across The Passover Plot. I summoned up the courage to read it, and came away totally unconvinced that the Resurrection is a hoax. The incredible changes that happened in the lives of the disciples, turning them from timid, fearful men into bold proclaimers of the Gospel, could not have been sustained, I believe, on the back of a hoax...nor could the profound effect the life of Jesus has had on millions of people across 2000 years of human history.



This was a significant turning point in my spiritual journey. I found myself saying along with the father of an epileptic boy in Mark 9:24 “Lord I believe. Help my unbelief.” I let go of the need to solve mystery logically, and relaxed into the arms of a merciful Lord. I accepted Jesus as the window, the gate, the doorway to God. If we truly want to know the personality of the divine we have only to look to Jesus. As Jesus asserts in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one”.



This brings me now to the Third Person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit. Growing up, as I did in the Episcopal Church, I held a pretty intellectual view of the Holy Spirit. It's what inspired writers of scripture. It's what the disciples experienced on the Day of Pentecost. It's God's presence in people's hearts and lives down through the centuries. But.....all of that Holy Roller stuff, Charismatic Christianity, talking in tongues, and being slain in the Spirit...it seemed so undignified, and to be perfectly honest, bordering for me on terrifying. Yet, in the early 1990's I accepted an invitation to go to a weekend retreat in the mountains of Colorado hosted by the Episcopal Renewal Ministries.



The only words to describe that week were that I was bathed in the Holy Spirit; I felt a barrier melting between my brain and my heart; I felt the presence of God deep within my soul, and it erased my fears and terror of those who are deeply moved by the Holy Spirit in their lives. The Holy Spirit became for me a reality beyond an intellectual construct. I felt it, I lived it, I breathed it.



It took me a lengthy time to bring the 3 persons of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit together in a unified whole, not just in my head theologically, but more importantly in my heart and soul. There are many different ways of expressing this three-fold nature of the divine, one of my favorites being: God beyond us, with us, and within us. God beyond us as the Creator....far more awesome and powerful than we can even begin to imagine. God with us in His incarnation in Jesus, his ongoing companionship in prayer, support and sustenance, his presence in the fellowship of faith, the Church; and God within us in the still, small guiding voice, in the power of emotion that surges up in prayer and worship, and in the discernment that allows us to acknowledge the presence of the Holy in our lives.



In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit....Maker, Redeemer and Sanctifier... Blessed be the Holy Trinity...the 3 fold nature of the divine. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment